Prosecutors have disclosed in court documents they obtained a police report prepared by Metropolitan Police. While it’s unclear the nature of the police report, prosecutors also noted they have obtained the woman’s medical records and subsequent treatment related to a previously undisclosed September 2022 incident. (A Metropolitan Police spokesperson declined to comment on any case until a person is charged with an offence.)
The recent motion also accuses Majors’ legal team of pulling a range of publicity stunts, including leaking and misrepresenting court evidence and an attempt to have the NYPD disseminate a “wanted flyer” for Majors’ ex-girlfriend.
The Marvel star is back in court on Wednesday stemming from his arrest in March for allegedly attacking his ex-girlfriend, who Rolling Stone is choosing not to name as the Manhattan DA’s office considers her a victim. A judge is expected to rule on his team’s latest motion to have the case thrown out. The 34-year-old, who faced accusations of physical and/or emotional abuse with two previous romantic partners in a Rolling Stone investigation in June, faces up to a year in jail if convicted on misdemeanor charges of assault, attempted assault, and aggravated harassment.
The case has garnered national attention, with heated discussion about the criminal matter dominating social media. Majors’ legal team has leaned into the public’s interest and have gone on the offensive, allegedly leaking surveillance video of the incident’s aftermath and releasing screenshots between the former couple as purported evidence that the woman had allegedly retracted her claims. Majors’ attorney Priya Chaudhry has vehemently denied the claims and repeatedly said there is substantial evidence to support Majors’ claim, urging the judge to throw out the case numerous times.
In June, Majors filed his own police report against his ex-girlfriend, claiming it was her who attacked him. Majors claims that his former girlfriend hit and scratched him, leaving him bloody. Based on that police report, the woman is expected to voluntarily report to the NYPD to receive a desk appearance ticket and appear in court, according to recent reports.
But in the new motion, prosecutors have said that even if police decided to arrest and charge the woman over Majors’ accusations in the cross complaint, they will decline to prosecute any charges brought by the NYPD. “A thorough investigation was conducted into the facts of this case and, in doing so, the People have chosen to prosecute Jonathan Majors,” the court documents state.
In the recent motion, prosecutors said the fight started when the woman observed Majors receive a text message to the effect of, “Wish I was kissing you right now.” When the woman attempted to grab the phone, Majors allegedly twisted her arm and struck her, according to her police complaint. Majors then exited the car and when the woman tried to follow him, he allegedly grabbed her, picked her up, and threw her back inside the car. The woman “sustained substantial pain, including a fractured finger, bruising about her body, a laceration behind her right ear, and a bump on her head,” according to the motion.
Prosecutors also claim in court papers that while Majors’ legal team has told the press that “video of the incident existed,” there is no video of the alleged attack. Similarly, prosecutors have claimed that Majors’ lawyers provided them a witness statement from the driver of the taxi cab in which the driver supposedly claimed he had seen the woman attack Majors. However, prosecutors claim when they showed the statement to the driver, he stated that he “had never written it, approved it, did not previously know it existed, and that the above statements were all false,” according to the motion.
In Rolling Stone‘s investigation from June, Majors’ legal team provided six character witness statements from women who Majors had dated or was close with. When Rolling Stone reached all six people, three say they never gave Majors’ team permission to release such statements. Another woman declined to share the statement credited to her by Majors’ team, saying it was prewritten, not truthful, and that she had never approved of its release. (One did not respond to a request for comment.) Only one woman consented to making her statement public.
The criminal case against Majors comes after the actor was set to have his biggest year yet, with the premiere of Creed III and his role as Kang the Conqueror in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Majors is expected to reprise the role in Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and also surfaces in Disney+’s Loki.
The second season of the Disney+ show premiered in early October and Loki executive producer Kevin Wright told Variety that there were no discussions about making changes to the show in light of Majors’ arrest and other allegations. “That mainly came from — I know as much as you do at the moment,” Wright said. “It felt hasty to do anything without knowing how all of this plays out.”