A string of sexual assault charges faced by Rex Orange County have been dropped.
The musician, real name Alex O’Connor, was charged in October with six counts of sexually assaulting a woman in London earlier this year and pled not guilty to all charges.
In a statement, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has confirmed that all charges against O’Connor have now been dropped.
“CPS prosecutors have a duty to keep each case under review. Having carefully considered all the evidence, our legal test for a prosecution was no longer met and so we will not be continuing a prosecution,” a CPS spokesperson said.
“We will always seek to prosecute sexual offences, where our legal test is met, no matter how challenging.”
O’Connor initially stood accused of assaulting a woman on six occasions between June 1 and 2 and was set to provisionally face trial on January 3, 2023.
In a fresh statement, responding to the charges being dropped, O’Connor said: “Today, all charges against me have been dropped.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reviewed the evidence and decided that there is no merit in this case going to trial. I have always denied these allegations and am grateful that the independent evidence has cleared me of any wrongdoing. I have never assaulted anyone and I do not condone violence or abusive behaviour of any kind.”
O’Connor added: “ I would like to clarify some details around what I was accused of, as I have not been able to address this until now and inaccuracies about the case have circulated. I was wrongly accused of touching someone one evening on their leg, neck, back, and bottom. That led to six charges of sexual assault.
“The only evidence against me was the individual’s account. However, CCTV footage obtained by the police contradicted their version of events. Their partner was also present throughout the evening in question and gave a statement to the police which did not support the allegations against me.
“It’s been a difficult time for everyone involved and I’d like to thank the people who have helped me through it as well as my family and loved ones for their continued support.”
At the time of the charges being made, a representative for the musician previously told Pitchfork: “Alex is shocked by the allegations which he denies and looks forward to clearing his name in court. He is unable to make any further comment because of the ongoing proceedings.”
O’Connor was also released on unconditional bail following the court appearance in October.