Rolling Stone, founded in San Francisco in 1967, is the world’s greatest music, film and popular culture magazine and launched in the UK under license to critical acclaim in September 2021. It is published in over 12 countries worldwide.
Reporting daily to the Social Media Manager, and working with the wider editorial and commercial teams, the Social Media Assistant will oversee day-to-day content scheduling and community management for all social channels, whilst also assisting in pitching, developing and creating organic social-first content.
The ideal candidate is a highly creative self-starter with an enthusiasm for social-led storytelling and a broad understanding of the social media landscape.
You will be adept at bringing copy, images and video together to tell stories via social for Rolling Stone UK (currently including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Threads, YouTube and TikTok), and will have a strong passion for music, particularly of upcoming artists, events and scenes in the UK.
You will also join, and sometimes assist as a social videographer, at shoots and other events which may occur outside of normal working hours.
The role will occasionally require the candidate to work alongside the Social Media Assistant at Attitude Magazine to support the title’s social media output, covering annual leave, assisting at events, etc.
Attitude is the world’s largest LGBTQ+ media brand, sold in print in 31 countries and available to download in digital form in 130 more.
- Collaborate with the Social Media Manager to execute the social strategy for Rolling Stone UK
- Manage day-to-day content scheduling and community management (responding to readers, including in comments and DMs), of all social media channels. Flagging any major issues with the Social Media Manager.
- Grow followers and engagement with the community on all platforms
- Recognise opportunities for unique social-first content, informed by regular research on trends, audience, competitors and the wider cultural landscape
- Populating a cultural calendar
- Support on content creation including copywriting to ensure brand consistency and tone of voice
- Attend cover shoots, events and festivals to capture and create social-first content
- Assist in developing unique and memorable content, formats and series for our social platforms
- Reporting to Social Media Manager on platform and content performance, and working reactively to findings
- Repurpose print magazine and online articles for social channels, and support the Social Media Manager in creating content for commercial briefs
- Ensure all social content meets editorial, ethical and legal standards
- Occasionally collaborate with Attitude Magazine’s Social Media Assistant to achieve shared opportunities
- A self-starter, or willing to learn, with an understanding of how to make the best out of editorial opportunities
- You will be looking for your first full time post-grad role, or to move from an entry-level role at a smaller/niche company to a more high-profile brand
- You live and breathe social media, which is where you get most of your news, updates and entertainment
- As well as consuming lots of social media content, you are abreast of new trends, analytics and paid media, as well as new and rising platforms
- You have a keen interest in music, film, TV and popular culture, plus a passion for visual storytelling
- You understand the Rolling Stone UK audience, the current music landscape, and digital platforms
- Willingness to work some flexible shifts where required, including some evenings and weekends
Skills and experience
- Experience in creating social-first content
- Experience building social audiences across multiple platforms
- Understanding of social media platforms, trends and culture
- Understanding of social performance tools and analytics
- Strong copy-writing ability and experience
- Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Pro skills preferable
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Experience using social media management platforms
- Experience using scheduling and social listening tools
- Experience in a publisher or magazine environment
- Adobe After Effects, Buffer, Later skills
25 days annual leave per calendar year (plus Bank Holidays)
Pension scheme, with some matched contributions
Great development opportunities
Fun, hardworking, team environment
Please send your CV, cover letter and showreel or examples of self-produced video or Instagram and social media content to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attitude and Rolling Stone UK are produced by Stream Publishing, who are an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that celebrates differences, allowing you to do your best work at all times.